|I. Opening and Prayer|
The meeting was called to order Chairman Hawke at 4:30 PM in the Cove View
Room. Mellicent opened the meeting with a prayer.
Rev. West moved that the minutes of the December meeting be approved as circulated.
III. Reports and Reviews
1. Jane will continue to obtain names from the town hall.
2. Mitzi reported that Deacon Celia Frances is giving her a copy of the names of new comers who attend church services.
B. Welcome Wagon
Dud Emailed the suggestion that the committee consider using the services of Welcome Wagon. Since Welcome Wagon is a commercial enterprise, Mitzi suggested that we consider sharing the service and the cost with other churches.
C. Eagle Festival
1. 600 Bag Lunches
Scott Harger advises that we should skip the lettuce and use packets of mayo and mustard.
Shop Rite in New London is willing to donate 600 bottles of water. They must be picked up by truck.
The Yacht Club will be asked for a wholesale price for packets of chips, mayo and mustard.
Scott advises that turkey ham or turkey bologna is the most economical meat. He advises us to use 2 oz. per sandwich. Scott also advises to make half meat and half cheese and pack as ˝ each per bag.
2 oz. per sandwich translates into 35 lbs. of meat and cheese.
Enough people have volunteered for assembly. We need more cookie volunteers.
Mellicent suggested that we store the sandwiches in coolers and transport the packed bags in boxes.
It was suggested that the church needs a banner. (God is Still Speaking?) Don will be asked about this.
The gala auction will precede the event.
Bill West offered the services of his grandson for transporting bottles of water from New London with Bill Hawke.
D. UCC in Hartford
Bill West announced that Peter Gomes will speak on Saturday. Rev. Gomes is a spirited former Harvard Chaplain.
Bill recommended the UCC web site as a good way to keep up with plans.
Volunteers can register electronically.
Mitzi reported that she has been in touch with Jonathan Lee. The UCC reserved a number of hotel rooms. They have not yet run out of space.
Don Male’s Challenge to Attend was discussed, including the possibility of traveling by bus. The hours apparently will be 8:30AM to 9PM. This may require more than one round trip.
Jane reported that the slogan contest proved to be a lot of fun at the Soups On. Several suggestions were read. Many are catchy and good. A clear standout has not yet appeared. Ken has a “Top 6”.
Mitzi suggested running an ad featuring several of the current suggestions.
Mitzi and Dud have revised the welcome note.
G. Shrove Tuesday
New members will be invited by phone to attend the Shrove Tuesday supper. Mellicent will Email names to committee members .
Wini checked on the zoning regulations. All churches are not the same. In the zone that this church is located, 12 square feet by Special Permit seems to be the maximum allowed. An off site sign is allowed for churches, museums and certain clubs on designated parcels of town land. They should
Not exceed two square feet. A more specific inquiry should be made before any sign is purchased or made.
I. Steeple lighting
A representative of Lightoleer will provide suggestions and costs.
J. Pre-empted Survey
The survey that was approved by the Council, printed and ready to go last September will be distributed immediately with the Post Office Box crossed off . It is hoped that replies will be received soon enough to help the Nominating Committee. Information will also be used as the basis for an informal updated Directory. .
IV. New Business
Essex Events ads cost $125.. The second one is due out shortly.
What do we see when we approach the church?
Mellicent appreciates the displays and is comforted by the quilt.
Picturing herself as a newcomer, Wini would wonder how to enter the building.
Bill is pleased to have someone at the end of the hall greeting people and making them feel welcome.
Mitzi was turned off by the cobwebs and dirt surrounding the exterior door at the end of the hall. After she entered, she found the size welcoming and comfortable.
A membership map was discussed- either with pins or GIS.
The next meeting will be March 1, 2007 at 4:30 PM.